Extended abstracts, up to four pages, should be written in English (the official language of GSC2018), and related to Congress’s main themes:
- Scientific, technical and economic challenges to the natural stone industry: opportunities for research into sustainable development.
- Innovation in geological research, quarrying, processing, design and manufacturing technologies: new inputs and product creation.
- Transportation logistics, communications technologies and trade routes: supply management, tracking systems, controlled delivery.
- Local and global competitiveness.
- Stone testing and standardization. Evaluation of current methodology and new test propositions. Comparison between technological characteristics of natural and artificial stones.
- Surface treatments and testing. Durability of natural materials in diverse environments and regions.
- The life cycle of natural stone products and management of the circular economy.
- Management and use of residues, waste and effluents from the exploitation and processing of stone materials.
- Land-use planning, impact mitigation and quarry rehabilitation. Health, safety, environmental and social responsibility.
- Criteria for architectural specification and projects, certification, green building. Sustainable architecture.
- Historical and contemporary uses of stone in the building industry. Stone in world heritage. Middle-East and the Arabian influence on Lusophone architectonic style.
- Stone conservation. Characterization of weathering features; testing of restoration products; durability tests.