In the course of its history, the GSC has witnessed significant changes in the natural stone industry, with marked growth in world production and international trade, as well as the transfer of quarrying and processing activities to countries outside Europe.
Commercial conditions, linked to increasingly rigorous sustainability criteria, permeate mining-industrial production chains, such as the stones industry. From now on, materials for the coverings market require examination under the guise of the so-called, circular economy, which is based on a broader concept than sustainability alone.
The new conditions were governed by the globalization of the market, and this resulted in the transposition of laws, standards and regulations that are increasingly stringent for natural stone producing countries. It is in this context that the organization of GSC 2018 is being conducted, as a forum for expert discussion of the challenges and opportunities relative to sustainability and the growth of the industry in the 21st century.
- Gather internationally renowned specialists to share knowledge and discuss the latest advances in the natural stone industry.
- Promote international technical cooperation for the natural stone industry, with a view to development of projects and research.
- Evaluate specification criteria, application and coverings design, in addition to adaptation of standardized testing of the stones’ technological characterization.
- Discuss the historical and contemporary usage of stones in buildings.
- Connecting minds in the world of stone: industrialists, architects, civil engineers, designers, real estate market professionals, scientific researchers, among others, drawing them closer together to think collectively and seek solutions to the challenges of the 21st century.
JardimAtlântico Beach Resort
Ilheus-Olivença Road – km 2 – s/n – Jardim Atlântico
Ilheus, Bahia State, Brazil
Date: April 26-29, 2018
More information: http://visitbrasil.com/en/
The Global Stone Congress (GSC), originally called the International Congress on Dimension Stones (ICDS), was first held in Brazil in 2005. The event arose from a partnership between the Centre for Mineral Technology (CETEM), a research institute of the Ministry of Science, Technology, Innovation and Communication (MCTIC) and the Center for Technology of Marble and Granite (CETEMAG), with the support of the Brazilian Association of the Dimension Stone Industry (ABIROCHAS) and associates of the Brazilian Dimension Stones Technology and Quality Network (RETEQ-ROCHAS).
Other editions of the event were subsequently held in Italy (2008), Spain (2010), Portugal (2012) and Turkey (2014), adopting the formal name Global Stone Congress in Spain (2010).
The next Congress will return to Brazil. It is being organized by CETEM and ABIROCHAS and scheduled for April 26-29, 2018 in the city of Ilheus, state of Bahia. LEARN MORE.
Save the date. Time to go: